Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mumbai vs Bombay Issue

Okay, this whole 'Bombay' vs 'Mumbai' is way more complicated than I thought; my original hypothesis was in (old) SAT format: Bombay:Mumbai :: Black: African American.

However, recently, a movie director has had to apologize publicly to local political figures for characters in his movie referring to the city as Bombay instead of Mumbai. A friend of my recently said, "Are you an ABCD* idiot, why are you calling it Mumbai instead of Bombay?"

I'm an IBCD in India. Still confused about what the name of the city I'm living in.


* For those non-immigrants, ABCD stands for American Born Confused Desi, referring to foreign born Indians who lack knowledge of Indian culture/heritage

1 comment:

  1. And the Blonde Basel rebuttal -

    * I mis-translated 30 mL as 300 mL and ruined my Uncle Ben's instant rice. Oh wait, no, that was just a math error thinking 0.3L = 30 mL. Metric system sucks.

    * I got to the health center because I have a cold, and mis-read the German sign that splits the Swine flu candidates from the normal sickly folk. Proceed to the swine flu room, which looks like a scene from the movie "Outbreak". Forced into a small chamber for several minutes while the nurse prepares to enter the "contamination zone". I didn't have the flu, but I most certainly upped my chances. And all I wanted was some cough syrup.

    ReplyDelete