Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 1: Waiting for it to sink-in


* Arrive at Mumbai Int'l airport: still under "renovation." Sign #1 that I'm in India: I'm bombarded with 8,000 smells literally as I step off the plane into the corridor.

* Talking to my driver: "Yeah, my parents live in LA, I live in New York." Pause. "I used to live in New York." I think it's sinking in.

* Proceed to be ripped off my cellphone vendor. I dunno, $30 to unlock a pre-paid cellphone? Maybe prices aren't what they used to be.

* Hotel room is very nice...view of the Arabian sea. Exciting, but not as exciting as you might think, since the sea basically looks like a dirty brown puddle in Bombay.

* Still haven't figured out if I'm going to refer to the city as Bombay or Mumbai.

* Arrived in Bombay, got a cell phone, ate a Bombay style "tiffin" (prix fixe meal in metal containers), checked into my hotel, started this blog...now on to twiddling my thumbs until dinner. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. And the Basel rebuttal:

    * Left my windows open my first night here, only to discover that Basel has these little gnat-like bugs that are attracted to light, and will swarm into your apartment if your windows are open and the lights are on. Proceeded to sleep on the couch in the living room which was sealed off from bugs.

    * Plugged the converter into the wall socket, and then my U.S. hair dryer into the converter, forgetting that the adapter goes in first. Explosion ensues. Electricity goes out. In the kitchen as well, where now the 'fridge is not keeping things cold. That was the day I learned how to change a blown fuse.

    * Attempted to cook dinner last night on my 80s-esque kitchen appliances (which match my 80s-esque furniture / decor). The chicken begins smoking as I add my sauce. The kitchen begins filling with smoke, and then the whole living room and hallway as well. But I'm too afraid to open the windows, because of the bugs. I prefer suffocation to bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Amelia, you should be writing a blog. You new life is way more hilarious (albeit a bit more 3 Stooges style) than mine!

    ReplyDelete