Saturday, February 27, 2010

Surviving the Indian Healthcare system

This past week was an epic fail/FML with regard to my health (hence the paucity of posts). I was down with 3 uncorrelated ailments:

1) Full blown flu (in 95 degree weather)
2) Food poisoning (from vegetarian food)
3) Allergic reaction (to a skin product I've used for years)

Given all this, I decided--even though I despise doctors--to go see a physician. Little did I know of the adventure I was in for. I hadn't set foot in an Indian hospital in 15 years and apparently very little has changed. My two biggest observations during my brief interaction with the Indian healthcare system:

1) It's surprisingly expensive (why my blue chip employer doesn't provide me proper health insurance is a story for another day). Granted I went to the "best" hospital in Mumbai--Breach Candy Hospital (pictured below). I suppose, they have to charge those prices since they are nestled between the American Embassy and the exclusive Breach Candy Club (see post on urban country clubs) with views of the Arabian sea.


2.) It's not-so-surprisingly unpredictable (see post on Indian time)

You never know where to find a doctor--docs are affiliated to different hospitals and have separate clinics.

You never know when to find a doctor--docs keep random hours (the hours are literally random and have nothing to do with someone's typical work day) and then don't keep to their posted hours. I had to wait for a doctor for 1 hour after I somehow made an appointment figuring out his schedule (fine, you caught me, my assistant made the appointment).

In any case, after 2 rounds of antibiotics, several anti-inflammatories, anti-pyretics, and anti-histamines and some antacids to help with all these meds in me, I'm finally rid of my illnesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment