Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Re-re-patting and the power of a signature

At this point, I'm already confused as whether I'm a repat, expat, repat turned expat pretending to be a pat or whatever. To add, more confusion to the mix, I've started my application process to be an OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) which some claim is essentially "dual citizenship" to India (it's more like an expensive lifetime multi-entry visa for people of Indian origin).



Ironically, I have had more unpleasant run-ins with immigration bureaucracies in moving to India than I did when I moved to America. However, my OCI process so far has been *knock on wood* relatively painless. I've heard of people being asked for a copy of the past page of their grandparents' expired passports (no joke).

The toughest part of the process for me was the signatures. Let me illustrate with simple set of facts. Number of signatures required for--

a) 1 US Bank Account Application = 1
b) 1 Indian Bank Account Application = 12
c) 1 OCI Application = Carpal tunnel syndrome aka a whopping 104

A quirky--but ultimately very secure--characteristic of India is that signatures are taken seriously. You have to sign your name exactly the same way everytime. And people actually check it! I've had a check bounce here because the banker called and said that my signature was missing a usually distinctive loop on 'x' letter--they thought it might have been a forgery. My signature is distinctive? Take that other-guy-with-a-famous-signature!


No comments:

Post a Comment