Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Culinary Canary

Generally, my posts follow the format of an experience followed by some hilarious or not-so-hilarious observations. Today, I'm going a different route. First of a new series, I'm going to use the blog to to introduce new concepts. Today's concept is the "Culinary Canary."



Three points of context:

1) As some of you may know, I like to style myself a foodie. (whether I fit the mold or not, you be the judge). Food is always on my mind. I have standards for what goes into my stomach but at the same, am relatively adventurous when it comes to cuisine (see this post).

2) On the subject of food in India, we all know the less pleasant concept of Delhi Belly. Whenever, new people move to Bombay. A group of unmentioned friends and I take bets on how long before they get Delhi Belly. The most recent import in our social circle, lasted 16 days--not bad!

3) Given this high beta and risk associated with quality food, many expats and repats in Bombay are averse try restaurants that cost less than $40 a person.

Definition:
Culinary Canary: a foodie in a group of expatriates who functions as the initial tester of quality food at questionable local restaurants. If aforementioned person survives without incident (e.g. food poisoning, stomach flu), then the rest of the group proceeds to attend the restaurant the following week/month. See also canary in a coal mine.

Guess who the culinary canary of my group of friends is?

No comments:

Post a Comment