Sunday, September 5, 2010

Bombay Street Meat: Mohammed Ali Road

I'm about reach actualization as a repat: now that I've already started drinking local--albeit UV filtered--water and last weekend, I decided to try street food in Mumbai.

Where: Mohammed Ali Road (heart of old, Muslim Bombay)
When: Saturday night during Ramadan (or more beautifully rendered, Ramzan, in Urdu)
Wtf: See image below



The fasts of Ramzan days lead to the glorious feasts of the eve. M. Ali Road--'the street that never sleeps'--is particularly alive and buzzing on Ramzan nights. While I often feel like a tourist in Bombay, it was clear today even my resident Mumbaiker friends were feeling touristy in this part of town. To paraphrase one of them during our meal, "even your driver wouldn't eat what you're eating right now." Some highlights from the trip:

1) Absurd cheapness of food available
- Entire meal with meat was possible for under 50 cents (Rs 20)
- One exception, however, was being upsold on some 'Bombay pheasant' which cost $6

2) Lesson in goat anatomy through consumption of following:
- Brain
- Kidney
- Liver
- Bone marrow

3) Discovery of Indian tissues

Me:
Do you have a tissue or napkin?
Vendor: I have Indian tissue
Me: What?
[Vendor hands me a piece of old newspaper]

Sadly, however, the food was less than amazing despite the amount of dirt and grease involved. Perhaps we went to the wrong places. Never fear, given that I have survived this trip in one piece, I'm definitely willing to give M. Ali Road another shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment