Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sailing in Bombay

In an effort to have life outside of work and going out, I've decided to cultivate some hobbies. Attempt # 1 = Sailing: a new, awesome friend of mine (she can comment on the post if she likes) offered to have me join her on a sailing class.

As you may know, the two most common smells of Bombay are raw sewage and rotten fish, both of which emanate mostly from the sea. Given this, you might wonder, why I would choose to go on a sailing in class in Bombay instead of during my time in Boston, LA, Costa Rica, Aruba, Bahamas etc. Yes, I'm a masochist.

Below pic is basically, Sri's eye view in a Mumbai sail boat:



The class itself was a lot of fun. I learned about running, reaching and beating --no, this is not a "list of things Elin did to Tiger that fateful night." They're proper sailing terms. I only got a nose-full of Mumbai water a couple of times, but it was enough to make me reconsider taking a full course of lessons. Still debating about this, what do you guys think?

The afternoon ended with tea time (well lemonade time for me) at the Royal Bombay Yacht Club, fancy-schmancy institution with reasonable joining fees.




Attempt #2= Oil Painting, let's see how that goes!

5 comments:

  1. I love tea but trust me, when it's >100 degrees and muggy outside, the last thing you'll want is a hot tea. Lemonade is easier to get here than iced tea. People still look at me like a freak when I ask for tea without milk or sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, when did you click these pictures??? Quite cool!

    Awwwww...I miss the sea and ofcourse the smelly package it comes with :-P!

    And so glad you had fun!!! Keep the compliments coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure it's because you're asking for tea without milk or sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send me a photo report on your sailing experiences in Mumbai.. for the CSC website ! Cheers !
    Vinay.

    ReplyDelete