Thursday, April 15, 2010

Haberdashery in Mumbai

Humid Mumbai summer is on full-swing. How do I know? As soon as I walk out of my apartment, my sun glasses fog up. Since I can't change the Mumbai weather, I figured I'd change my wardrobe: I'm going all linen from now on!


We've already discussed how everything worth having in India is twice the US price aka I can't afford Hugo Boss, Zegna, etc. in India. I decided to try the next best thing: bespoke. After extensive research, I landed on 3 very different tailors. Below is a quick review of Bombay tailoring scene/arguably gayest subject matter for a post on this blog (barring the one about Yash Birla):

1) Avinash Punjabi (on Colaba Causeway):
Pros: Located in Expat central Colaba, AP's English speaking ability and service were impeccable.
Cons: limited fabrics and a 'Friends' style inseam measuring incident

2) Sheetal (on Grand Road):
Pros: Extensive selection of styles and fabrics; Proper fitting session with in-process clothing
Cons: Less adventurous designers; shady ambience

3) Gabbana (Breach Candy):
Pros: Highest quality fabrics (incl Zegna, Canali, etc.)
Cons: Exorbitant prices; service was a little less than personal, guess I wasn't high roller enough


I recently went in for the fitting after my clothes were made all 3. Results were alright. More importantly, I've heard of more great tailors. The search for the perfect tailor is not done yet!

3 comments:

  1. You left out the most important point of information - how much were you able to bargain them all down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm! I have to...have to get a glimpse of this new wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete