Friday, July 16, 2010

India gets Finance's oldest yet hottest accessory

Every couple of months, I disappear from the blogosphere while I live in my office. It's that time of the year again, but I have been able to sneak a few minutes to share this earth-shattering news that is causing an uproar of self-congratulation amongst the Indian financial media: India finally has a single character currency symbol! See below:



The Rupee, long considered a 2nd-hand currency behind USD, EUR, GBP, YEN, and even CAD, AUD, CNY, and CHF is finally getting its own symbol in Unicode, joining the ranks of Dollar, Euro, Pound, and Yen. The symbol was designed by an IIT professor and is a blend of 'R' in roman script and 'Ra' in Devanagari script

While it is just a symbol, I have to agree, it's pretty cool we have one. I'm not just saying that b/c I've gotten tired of typing "Rs" or "INR" on every output table.

5 comments:

  1. To be honest, I don't really see the roman 'R' in here.... it just looks like a Ra with a line through it (kind of like S -> $)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saad, come on, it's totally half a Roman 'R'--without the left line, duh. You only wish Pakistan had something this awesome. Maybe they'll start typing Pakistani Rupee as PR (where 'R' is this new Rupee symbol) like C$ for the Canadian dollar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the unicode character for the INR single stroke on the Indian keyboard?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all likelihood, it will take more keystrokes than typing "INR." What is your point?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me, there is something decidedly Southeast Asian about the symbol. I'm vetoing.

    ReplyDelete